This Double Chocolate Banana Bread, is moist, packed with full of flavour. A lovely way to start your day. Its such a flavour packed breakfast. I generally love my chocolate for breakfast atleast once a week. This banana recipe is definitely a keeper
THIS DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD IS
- Rich, dark, dense and superlatively moist.
- Has a hint of banana loaded with blooming cocoa (later in the post) and milk chocolate chips. topped with some toasted walnuts.
- Can be made vegan as well. Vegan options below in the post
- Totally and completely make ahead.
- A breakfast recipe that can be made ahead and stored. Make it on a weekend and you are sorted for the week.
- Super Easy to whip up this batter. So its quick too. This batter was prepped flat in 15 mins. and it baked slowly while we were having dinner. So basically, My breakfast was done for atleast 2 days of the week.
lets get deeper on
HOW TO MAKE DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
This recipe is Eggfree, no butter. But still it has a good structure, rich, dense, has a tender crumb and definitely super moist. And certainly packed with full chocolate flavour. Topped with milk chocolate chips and walnuts. In this recipe, the banana flavour will not over power the chocolate , which means the bananas used in here will just give a touch of the flavour. SO, we use comparatively lesser amount bananas here.
Ingredients here for the banana bread is simple and straight forward.
- Flour – Use all purpose flour here.
- Cocoa powder – pure unsweetened cocoa powder here. Lets talk about blooming the cocoa powder – it intensifies the chocolate flavour by releasing the flavour particles present in cocoa powder. A hot liquid is usually added which thickens the cocoa powder. This can be hot coffee, hot milk or just plain hot water. So this is what we do in this recipe.
- Dark Brown Sugar – . soft dark brown sugar has more molasses content in it. gives the banana bread a nice moist texture and elevates the banana bread with a hint of caramel taste.
- Ripe Bananas – Mashed. In this recipe, we used bananas, but it will not overpower the chocolate. so you wil
- Baking Soda – for leavening here.
- salt – enhances the flavour.
- canola oil – canola or vegetable oil. we are not using butter here.
- yoghurt – a little yoghurt is a good replacement for egg. So we are using whole full fat yoghurt.
- butter milk – Buttermilk when reacting with baking soda contributes to that fine tender crumb.
- Hot water – for blooming the cocoa. This is what gives the banana bread a dense rich chocolate flavour
CAN I MAKE IT A VEGAN CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD?
YES…!!! absolutely. These are vegan substitutes that work well for this recipe.
- Yoghurt – You can replace with yoghurts made from soy, coconut milk.
or silken tofu – puree the same quantity to replace yoghurt.
- Butter milk
To 200ml of dairy free milk (soy milk and coconut milk will work) add 15ml of vinegar or apple cider vinegar or lime juice. let it sit for around 5 to 7 minutes, to curdle. Your milk should be room temperature.
MIXING THE BATTER FOR DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD – A ONE BOWL METHOD
- In this recipe we use easy wet and dry mixing methods.
- The mashed banana, sugar, is mixed . The yoghurt, buttermilk and oil goes in . beat well until it is smooth. To this you will add the dry flour mix that is – cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and salt. fold
- Finally you will add hot water to the batter. This is what will bloom the cocoa giving a deeper chocolate flavour.
BAKING DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
This bread needs to be baked slow at low temperature for a longer period.
I baked mine at 170 for 40 minutes. You will let it cool completely before cutting slices
HOW TO BAKE THIS BANANA BREAD FOR FOR A CROWD
This recipe cannot be mixed and made to sit on a kitchen counter, the leavening agent will lose out its power to leaven a baked good if it is allowed to sit on the counter more than 15 to 20 mins. In such a case, to bake for a crowd you can do it in 2 ways:
bake in loaf pans and batch wise
the pans you will use here is regular loaf pans.
In this case, you will mix the batter that is sufficient to go into the oven for 1 batch – ie if you can keep 2 loaf pans in your oven. Then you will double the recipe mix and bake as 1 batch. Like wise.
bake in small loaves. bake and serve paper loaves. like these
- In this case, you can bake in mini loaves or bake and serve paper loaves.
- you can arrange atleast about 15 of small paper loaves in a baking sheet and bake effortlessly.
- This works for large crowds like 50 members or more. It will save you from cutting in to slices
- you can bake and leave it in the loaves to serve
I suggest baking these in small single serve paper loaves. Its easier to bake and serve as well.
HOW TO BAKE IN BATCHES.
- prep your dry ingredients seperately for each batch. so if there are 4 batches. then 4 bowls of dry ingredients. and 4 bowls of wet ingredients.
- mix one batch and put in the oven.
- you can mix the next batch, while the previous one is in the oven and the baking is through to 30 mins.
- This way you can make batch bake these banana bread.
STORING DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
- Once these are baked. You can cool them and store them in air tight container in the refrigerator.
- This bread stays good for a week in the refrigerator.
- To serve, bring it to room temperature. Smear some peanut butter or cream cheese.
- TO SERVE A CROWD –
- keep a bowl of peanut butter, cream cheese, or berry jam or preserve. or even chocolate sauce. Give a choice.
- Sliced banana bread or serve them in the bake and serve loaves.
How do you like your banana bread ? peanut butter or cream cheese. Mine is definitely plain. Its good even plain.
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
- loaf pan 9×3
- parchment paper
- nonstick spray
- one bowl
- electric beater
- wire rack
- 120 grams all purpose flour
- 40 grams cocoa powder unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 160 grams brown sugar dark and soft
- 150 grams bananas over ripe and mashed
- 100 ml canola oil
- 100 ml buttermilk
- 50 gm yoghurt full fat
- 60 ml hot water
- Grease and line a 2lb/9x3x3 or a similar size loaf pan. Preheat the oven.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda keep aside
- In a little larger bowl, beat the mashed banana, brown sugar until well blended. Make sure there are no sugar lumps and large pieces of bananas.
- Add yoghurt, buttermilk and oil beat well.
- Fold in the dry flour into the banana mixture. Use a beater to mix well.
- Finally you will add the hot water. and give a final mix. This hot water helps in blooming the cocoa.
- Pour the batter into prepared tin, top it with some walnut halves and some milk chocolate chips
- Bake at 170°c or 340°F. For 40 to 50 mins. Half way through baking,that is around 25 mins take the loaf out wrap foil on top and bake further. This will help not to burn the crust.
- Only use over ripe black bananas to get the meat out of it. Else this is not going to taste or look good.
- BAKING WITH OTHER SIZE TINS – you can bake with other size tins, this batter is enough for one 8 x2 inch round or square pan.
- You can triple quadruple this recipe. but make sure you mix and bake together. you are not letting mixed batter to sit on the counter.
- Cool completely before cutting into slices
- This banana bread will not rise much. it will be a lightly flatter bread.
Would love to see your bake sweetspot’s recipes. Did you bake any ? Tag us on insta @sweetspotbakeblog.
Pin it for later