This Easy Banana Coffee Cake is an Egg free, single layer cake Flavored with Coffee and loaded with walnuts and frosted with an easy Russian Coffee Butter Cream. Perfect for a Coffee Lover… !!!
- TOO RIPE BANANAS – you will always need a recipe
- This Banana Coffee Cake Recipe
- So how does this banana cake taste
- how to make Banana Coffee Cake From Scratch
- What pans and pans subtitutes to bake
- Mixing and Baking
- HERES HOW WE MAKE IT STEP BY STEP
- RUSSIAN COFFEE BUTTERCREAM
- STORAGE & SHELF LIFE
- SERVING IDEAS
TOO RIPE BANANAS – you will always need a recipe
Baked goodies, made from leftover bananas, are one of the most indispensible recipes that we need. Because we know how soon bananas can go overripe, especially in summer.
That’s where loads of banana based bakes come in. You can never get short of banana recipes.
With bananas, theres a huge variety of baked goodies that you can make. From breads, muffins to cakes and pies . SO you will never run of ideas for banana based recipes. like these two Moist Chocolate Banana Bread and Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Now this Banana Cake recipe is one that you would want in your banana recipe repertoire.
This Banana Coffee Cake Recipe
- Is a Single layer Banana cake flavored with coffee and walnuts.
- It is Egg free.
- It is an Easy One bowl kind of cake recipe, So its easy to whip up
- Frosted with an easy Russian Coffee Buttercream.
- it is not overtly sweet, The coffee balances out the banana and the buttercream sweetness.
- Perfect for small after dinner treats or hi tea parties or weekend brunch dessert.
- Can be completely made ahead
So how does this banana cake taste
This banana cake is moist, a little dense but soft crumb flavoured with coffee and chopped walnuts. This adds depth of flavour.
The Coffee Russian Buttercream, takes up the cake a notch higher.
Coffee is one of the best flavours that pairs well with banana. While this one is for serious coffee lovers, the amount of coffee can always be altered. You may totally leave out coffee in the cake.and have it only in the frosting. The sweetness in the banana and the condensed milk from the russian buttercream, balances out well with the strong fresh coffee.
how to make Banana Coffee Cake From Scratch
While making this banana cake is easy, lets get through what goes in this banana cake I have based this recipe from my Easy Vanilla cake.
First and foremost, is Bananas – So what Kind of bananas do we need for this recipe or for any baking with banana
- They should be over ripe, spotty, with all brown spots all over. BUT NOT BLACK. It should be easy to mash as well. These bananas are too soft to just eat it like that.
- Prepping the bananas – peel, mash and use immediately.
- if you are not using immediately. -Peel and freeze the overripe banana in a ziplock bag. And store them for further use.
- TO mash – use a fork, to mash. Another way you can do is, just use an electric beater on lowest speed and beat for 2 to 3 mins.
- Which are the best bananas for baking – long bananas are generally sweeter and deeper in flavour. So I suggest, Overripe long bananas that are spotty and toward darker brown are your best picks.
other Ingredients are
- All purpose flour – the basic for any standard cake recipe is flour so here it is plain ll
- yoghurt – replacing egg here. plain yoghurt or greek yoghurt will also be fine
- oil – For the moistness here. The bananas, contribute to the flavour structure and moistness. Oil helps in emulsion of the batter to form a smooth cake batter.
- Freshly brewed Coffee -For the flavour here, you can use instant coffee granules mixed in hot water.
- Brown sugar – in this recipe, sugar is on the lesser side, because the sweetness and flavour comes from the bananas. So a brown sugar goes a long way
- Walnuts chopped
- baking powder and soda here
What pans and pans subtitutes to bake
- A Round 6 inch or a 7” is good for this recipe
- A square 6 or 7 ” is also a great option.
- To make this recipe in a 9×13 rectangle pan or a quarter sheet pan you will make 1 and 1/2 of this recipe
- You can also make in an 8 inch pan, but the height of the cake will be smaller.
Mixing and Baking
Mixing is simple – all the ingredients, goes in one after the other in a bowl. So it is a one bowl kind of recipe.
Baking – This banana cake recipe, needs to be baked slow and for a long time. Since the batter is very moist and dense, baking it longer at low temperature will help it bake thoroughly. Once the cake is done baking, while cooling we should start making the frosting
HERES HOW WE MAKE IT STEP BY STEP
RUSSIAN COFFEE BUTTERCREAM
So what is Russian Buttercream – a simple buttercream based frosting, that is usually used in Russian Cakes and Eastern European Cakes.
Simple it has just 2 ingredients condensed milk and butter. and anything beyond that is only for flavouring In this recipe we add instant coffee granules.
This variety of buttercream, is one of the easiest, tasty. You can alter the consistency and work around the taste too. and that is why this recipe is going to be a keeper.
STORAGE & SHELF LIFE
Since this cake is made out of mashed overripe bananas, the shelf life is pretty low. So What I recommend, is bake it fresh and consume maximum within a day.
If you planning to make it for a brunch – make it the previous night. Not more than that.
After baking and frosting keep it refrigerated.
To Serve this Banana Cake, bring it out of the refrigerator at least an hour before serving. This is because the frosting hardens, and bringing it to close to room temperature make is soft.
- Serve them on a platter, with cake sliced.
- Serve the Cake plain with the butter cream served on the side.
- Other simple Toppings perfect for brunches – walnuts, honey, caramelised pecans, softened Coffee cream cheese.
pin it for later
Baked this Cake or anything from Sweetspot blog, tag us @sweetspotbakeblog on insta and let us know. would love to see what you made
Until Then Stay Safe !!!
EASY BANANA COFFEE CAKE
Tools/Equipment you will need
- mixing bowls 2 medium and large
- electric beater
- parchment paper
- 7 inch round pan
For the banana Coffee cake
- 120 grams (1 cup) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) yoghurt – curds or greek yoghurt, room temperature
- 50 ml (1/4 cup ) canola oil – or vegetable oil
- 150 grams (1/2 cup ) banana – mashed ( approx 2 long bananas), you can go upto 3/4 cup or 225 grams.
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) coffee – instant granules+hot water or freshly brewed coffee.
- 50 grams walnuts – chopped
For the Russian Buttercream Frosting
- 100 grams butter – unsalted, room temperature
- 100 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp coffee – instant coffee granules
Make the Banana Cake
- Line a 7 inch round cake tin. Preheat oven at 160°c/320°f for 15 mins.
- In a Large bowl first add the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Dry whisk it.
- Then add in the yoghurt, oil and mashed bananas. With an electric beater, whisk until smooth.
- Then pour in the coffee.Finally Fold in the chopped Walnuts.
- Transfer the cake batter to the prepared lined pan.
- Bake at 160°c/320°f for 45 mins. Before checking for doneness. A tooth pick inserted should come clean. Note: Every oven is different and it might take a little more or less time
Make Russian Coffee Buttercream Frosting
- With an electric hand held beater, beat the butter until soft and pale. To this add in condensed milk and coffee.
- Whisk on medium speed until stiff peaks. Note : you can adjust the consistency with the butter and the condensed milk. Also adjust the sweetness with condensed milk. To stabilize this buttercream, you can refrigerate for about 10 mins and then frost. This frosting will harden in the refrigerator.
- Always use Mashed over ripe bananas.
- The batter will be thick dense. So the cake crumb is moist dense but soft.
- Bake this banana cake slow at low temperature.
- For perfect oven temperature, always use an oven thermometer.
- Adjust the frosting consistency with condensed milk and butter.