These no bake chocolate mousse bars, made with a cookie crust and layered with a simple chocolate mousse, are easy, simple and completely make ahead. Perfect as party dessert, or for a crowd.
- No Bake Chocolate Mousse Bars Recipe
- HOW TO MAKE NO BAKE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE BARS
- FIRST THE INGREDIENTS
- FOR THE CRUST –
- FOR THE MOUSSE
- LINING THE PAN
- heres a STEP BY STEP to make these mousse bars
- De moulding & Cutting into bars.
- cut into bars
- TOPPING IDEAS
- SERVING IDEAS
- STORAGE & SHELF LIFE
- TIPS FOR THE BEST MOUSSE BARS EVERY TIME
No Bake Chocolate Mousse Bars Recipe
Why I love this recipe is because,
- Firstly it is completely No bake recipe
- Then there is no added sugar. The sweetness comes from the cookie crust and the chocolate mousse itself.
- Its is easy simple and quick to make
- Easy to serve, SO it perfect for a big gathering, entertaining.
- Its Egg free. with gluten free and vegan options
- And just needs about 5 simple ingredients from your pantry
Now Lets Get making these
HOW TO MAKE NO BAKE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE BARS
FIRST THE INGREDIENTS
FOR THE CRUST –
The ingredients for the crust are simple and very easily available at home. You need some
- Cookies/Biscuits and
- Melted butter.
You can use digestive crackers, graham crackers. Glucose biscuits like marie biscuits, bourbon biscuits or oreo like sandwich cookies.
To be noted : Now, when I say biscuits its not the American Biscuits that are served with gravy but crackers or cookies. In Britain, its the biscuits, while in America they are cookies.
So what brands of biscuits can you use for the crust.
In the Us – you can use, digestive crackers, grahams crackers. oreos
And in the UK – Marie biscuits, Milk Bikis. bourbon biscuits.
While in India – marie biscuits, oreos chocolate cream biscuits, bourbon.
The idea is to use, milk biscuits, or cream filled biscuits. So any brand is fine, or even ones from your cookie or biscuit jar
FOR THE MOUSSE
Just 3 ingredients
Heavy Cream double cream or Whipping Cream – Full fat dairy cream which has 35% or more fat content.
Fresh Cream – to make the ganache. Just fresh cream with any fat content. But full fat is generally preferable.
Chocolate – bitter sweet or dark or milk – The sweetness in the mousse is completed determined by the the chocolate you choose. You can choose anything around 40 % to 64%. Anything more than that will give you less sweeter mousse. But, if you are a dark chocolate lover, just go ahead.
You will need some simple basic tools
- A food processer
- A 7×7 or an 8×8 inch square or round pan. If you have a spring form, it will be just perfect.
- parchment paper
- a large bowl, 2 medium bowls
- A sauce pan
- angled spatula
After getting all your thing ready
there is one important step for an amazing mousse bar.
LINING THE PAN
IF YOU ARE USING A 7X7 OR AN 8X8
Start with lining your pan with parchment paper, with the sides extra, this will help you release your mousse bars easily. And here below and for the recipe is here
FOR A SPRINGFORM –
Line the pan with parchment paper.Jump to Recipe
heres a STEP BY STEP to make these mousse bars
De moulding & Cutting into bars.
You will de -mould These bars from the pan after refrigerating for 2 to 3 hours.
IF USING 7X7 OR 8X8 PAN
Bring it out. Use the parchment paper sides, to pull out the mousse from the pan. Do this gently. if you have lined the pan with extra parchment paper on the sides. then de moulding will be easy. Only after which you will cut them.
IF USING SPRINGFORM PAN
First run a warm (dipped in hot water) palette knife or an angled spatula around the edges of the mousse.
Then release lever of the spring form pan.
Then Remove the bottom plate.
After which you will
cut into bars
To cut into bars, use a warm knife that is dipped in hot water, wipe through the water, then cut into bars. eyeballing the size or having a measurement with a scale( yeah the obssessiveness in me)
SO what toppings can I add to these Chocolate mousse bars.
These Chocolate Mousse bars, can be topped with a variety of toppings. From simple chocolate chips to decadent toppings and frostings,
- Just a handful of chocolate chips and some cocoa powder to dust.
- nice soft ganache on top – Once the mousse is set in the fridge. make the ganache to a consistency where you can pour. 2 parts cream to 1 part chocolate. – heat the cream, add the chopped chocolate, let it sit for sometime, until the temperature is low. Pour this on the set mousse before de moulding or releasing from the pan
Here are some easy serving ideas and plating ideas.
squares/bars – The best way to serve these are to cut them into squares and place them on fancy platters.
Bite Size serve – these chocolate mousse bars can be served into tiny bite sized treats too. Cut them into a square, and further into 4 small pieces. So you have bite sized mousse bars.
These bite sized mousse bars are perfect to adorn your dessert table for birthday parties with other desserts.
For a potluck – you can pack the entire mousse in a square cake box, and then cut it before serving.
STORAGE & SHELF LIFE
YOu can store these mousse bars covered in the refrigerato.
These Chocolate Mousse bars stay good for more than a week, refrigerated. because, This is tried and tested.
Do not freeze these. if you freeze these, once thawed, it will sweat. You dont want that !
TIPS FOR THE BEST MOUSSE BARS EVERY TIME
- Always use a parchment sheet to line a pan. and that parchment sheet should be lined in such a way the edges are extra on the sides. This will help releasing the mousse bar easily.
- use warm knife to cut the bars. wiping out after each cut. This will give clean cuts
Made this recipe ? tag us on @sweetspotbakeblog I Would love to see yours
NO BAKE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE BARS
Tools/Equipment you will need
- parchment paper
- electric beater
- mixing bowls 2 medium and large
- knife to cut the bars
- nonstick spray
- 7×7 or 8×8 inch square pan
- angled spatula
- food processor
FOR THE CRUST/BASE
- 275 grams (1¾ cup) sandwich cookies – biscuits ( marie, bourbon, oreo, digestive crackers or graham crackers
- 100 grams ( ⅓ cup) butter – melted ( measure and then melt)
FOR THE MOUSSE
- 100 ml (½ cup) dairy cream – light cream or cream with atleast 18 to 25% of fat
- 100 grams (½ cup) semisweet chocolate – chopped
- 100 ml (½ cup) heavy cream – whipping cream, double cream, fat more than 35%
MAKE THE CRUST
- In a food processor, add the cookies/biscuits and powder till fine. Transfer to a bowl
- To this add melted butter
- Transfer to the line pan, and pat it down to form a base. Make it even with the help of a spatula or the back side of a measuring cup.
- Set aside. This is your base or the cookie crust
MAKE THE MOUSSE
- Heat fresh cream, until it bubbles. Pour it on the chopped chocolate. Let it sit.
- Use a spatula and mix. The chocolate will melt and form a thin consistency of ganache. Keep aside. Note : let the temperature of the ganache come down a little
- In another large bowl, add cold whipping/heavy cream. Whip until stiff peaks
- To the whipped cream, add the ganache. fold in gently so as to not deflate the whipped cream.Note: The ganache should not be completely set. it should still be pouring consistency. This ratio of chocolate and cream will not let the ganache set.
- Fold until all of the ganache is completely mixed with no streaks of ganache
- Now, layer this mousse on the cookie crust, and smooth the top with an icing/angled spatula.
- Set it in the refrigerator for a minimum 2 hours.