MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
This super moist chocolate cake is a single layer moist and easy to bake chocolate cake. Topped with a decadent ganache frosting
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 120 grams flour
- 40 grams cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- a pinch salt
- 90 grams granulated sugar
- 60 grams brown sugar
- 100 ml buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large eggs
- 60 ml canola or vegetable oil
- 100 ml warm water
- 2 tsp instant coffee granules/powder
FOR THE GANACHE FROSTING
- 200 ml Heavy Cream
- 300 grams semisweet or dark chocolate chopped tiny
TO MAKE THE CAKE
Pre heat oven at 170°c or 340°f. grease and line a 8X8X2'' pan
In a medium sized bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients - flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt. keep aside
In a large bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk, oil, vanilla extract. Set aside
Make a hot coffee with hot water and instant coffee. Keep Aside
Now fold in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient. Mixing from under the bowl so all the wet and dry ingredients are mixed well.
once the batter is homogenous, add the coffee and give a nice stir. You can use an electric mixer here.
Pour the batter in the pan. Give a tap on the counter to release the air bubbles.
BAke for 25 mins. Check in between for doneness/until toothpick inserted comes out clean
let the cake sit in the cake pan, until completely cool. Then transfer to the wire rack. After this you can assemble the cake
TO MAKE THE FROSTING
Put the chopped chocolate in medium bowl.
Heat the cream until it bubbles up. Pour the cream over the chocolate.
Let the cream, melt the chocolate on it owns, for atleast 10 mins.
Now stir gently until there is an emulsion of chocolate and cream. This is ganache.
Let the ganache set in room temperature until it is of spreadable consistency. Read the notes
ASSEMBLING THE CAKE
Let the cake cool completely, before assembling. Even better, if the cake is refrigerated.
Bring the ganache to desired spreadable consistency, read the notes.
Place the cake on a cake serving platter.
Smear or Spread the ganache as required. First place a big blog of ganache and move in a direction, that forms a pattern. Do this until you complete the cake.
Now cut the cake into equal bars. I made 9 bars.
- This cake is meant to be moist and it will have a lot of crumbs, so i dont recommend layering with this one.
- use good quality cocoa powder
- Do not over bake the cake. A good 20 -25 mins is good. Do keep a check.
- ganache can be set on the counter top. I would recommend this, as you can check the consistency you want. This will happen while the cake is being cooled.
- if the ganache gets to hard, pop it on a bowl/saucepan with simmering water. And adjust the consistency accordingly.
- You can store the ganache in the freezer, it will hold up good for atleast 2 months.