Leftover Cake (truffles )balls recipe is one easy, & decadent bite sized dessert. These Chocolate Cake Truffles balls are made with left over cake crumbs, mixed with a frosting and coated in melted chocolate.
LeftOver Chocolate Cake Truffles - Why make this ?
we all have leftover cake or cake scraps. Or may be we are tired eating a cake... Yeah we all have that hit on the face moment with huge left overs. And we definitely do not want to discard them. So what to do with leftover cake
This cake truffle, cake balls, cake pops or so many names to this one, is on of the best recipe to make with left over cake.
It is easier, if you have some left over cake. Re purpose them to make beautiful truffle balls.
These truffles made with leftover cake is one way to make sure you dont waste those cake scraps and crumbs.
Perfect to make for a quick dessert, looks lovely on a birthday dessert table, a great idea for a food gift.
Also this is such a fun activity to do with the kids.
The best activity with kids.. Its fun
The rolling of leftover cake balls, dipping them and decorating are all activities that you can involve your kids too.
Making these Chocolate Cake Truffles from Left over Cake Crumbs
There are ways you can make these truffle cake balls you may use left over cake crumbs, or cake mix like betty crocker, Duncan Hines or Pillsbury.
or grocery store/bakery bought cakes.
However, this Recipe is the easiest if you have any left over brownie, cake scraps. and some frosting.
To make this cake with a cake mix as well. Just follow the box instructions.
Or if you want to make cake from scratch then you may use these brownie recipes or moist chocolate cake recipe
Whichever cake you use. Crumble the cake to fine crumbs using a fork.
Just mix it with some frosting or cream cheese.
I used ganache - you may use a ¾ cup of cream cheese. What ever suits and what is available.
The idea here being using whats available and that it binds the cake crumbs to form balls.
Making the Left over Cake balls Truffles
Form balls, let it set for a hour in the refrigerator. then dip in melted white or dark chocolate.
Let it set in the freezer for about 10 - 12 minutes.
Drizzle or pipe some melted chocolate and decorate with sprinkles.
In this recipe, I have used some left over chocolate fudge cake and some ganache.
swaps, substitutes and other dipping ideas
You may use cream cheese, chocolate ganache or buttercream. The idea here is some frosting to bind the cake crumbs so that it forms a ball.
What you cant use is whipped cream or fruit compotes or something that has high water content.
You may use melted or tempered chocolate.
Melted chocolate - drizzle melted white, or dark or milk chocolate.
Decorate them with coloured sugar, sprinkles, chocolate sprinkles.
Can you make ahead left over cake balls
yes this is a perfect make ahead dessert. Suitable for a lot of occasions. They are completely make ahead.
Storage and Shelf Life
So how long does these truffles stay good - For about 1 week when refrigerated.
I would not recommend freezing. Because of temperature fluctuations the truffles will start sweating and you do not want that.
Make the truffles, dip them in chocolate, decorate. Let it set well. Then pack in airtight containers using mini cupcake liner or truffle holders. That way, the truffles will not stick to each other.
you can use a variety of packing ideas like pouches, boxes and tins. These also make for a perfect food gift.
Other Bite sized Desserts you should try
Peanut butter Cheesecake Truffles
Dark Chocolate Ganache Truffles
Left Over Chocolate Cake Truffle Balls
- 2 cups cake (left over cake made into crumbs )
- ¾ cup Chocolate frosting (ganache or buttercream )
- 1 cup chocolate (melted - any type of your choice )
- Line a cookie sheet or a baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside
- In a mixing bowl, add the cake crumbs, and half of the frosting. Mix using a spatula. Make sure the cake crumbs and the frosting come together and bind. Note: You may use little or more frosting as per requirement. The main idea here is to be able to bind so as to make truffles out of it.
- Use a small scoop or a tablespoon, scoop out and make small balls. Line them on the cookie sheet. Put it in the refrigerator for about an hour before dipping them in chocolate.
- Bring the truffles out of the refrigerator. Melt Chocolate. Dip the cake balls into the melted chocolate, shake off excess chocolate and line them back on the cookie sheet/baking tray. Let it set completely. Put it in the freezer for about 10 to 12 mins.
- Using the remaining melted chocolate and pipe them on to these truffles. Note: you may use a different chocolate too, to pipe and decorate these truffles. like white or milk chocolate or coloured white chocolate.
- The number of truffles, will depend on how big each of the truffles are.
- Do not use whipped cream as your frosting, it will be too moist to bind and form balls.
Leave a Reply