Dark chocolate truffles, make for an easy dessert, or a quick sweet. Perfect for any occassion. Formal or informal. This truffle recipe is super easy and has just 2 ingredients. And you have so many different options coming off it. So, lets just get started. Chocolate Truffles are bitesized confection, made with ganache (a combination of cream and chocolate). as per the usage, these can be of any proportions. Truffle in other words is also called ganache. A very popular word with cake decorators and the pastry world.
WHY DARK CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES ARE EASY DESSERT
- it has just 2 ingredients, just off pantry.
- No bake. Easy to make.
- Perfect for a quick sweet treat.
- Many options coming off that one recipe. Further in the post
For another easy lazy dessert.
HOW TO MAKE DARK CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES
These are easy to whip up, make and serve.
- Good quality dark chocolate – I used a lindt 70%. Again depends on what kind of dark you like or your guests would prefer.
- Heavy Cream – or whipping cream. No substitutes here. Not any cream that has been modified with palm oil or vegetable oil. We are talking about pure heavy cream.
- Cocoa powder for rolling the truffles in. Cocoa powder is just one option. Will tell you more on what else we use for rolling truffles.
- Heat up the full fat cream or whipping cream. To which you add in the chopped chocolate. Let it sit. mix until the chocolate is well blended. You can leave it at room temperature. or put in the fridge. Until the consistency is hard enough to form truffles.
- form in to balls of a size of your choice usually 1/2 to 3/4 tbsp. Coat in cocoa powder. Thats it.
DARK CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES
- 170 grams Heavy cream – full fat, whipping cream
- 300 grams dark chocolate – 70% dark, chopped into bite sized.
- unsweetened cocoa powder – just enough for coating
- Heat cream, until it bubbles.
- Pour the heated cream over chopped chocolate. Do not mix
- Let the chocolate be in the heated cream, when you see the chocolate melting into the cream. Use a spatula and mix very gently. This forms an emulsion( something that happens when the fat and liquid are mixed). This mixture is called truffle or ganache.This is what gives the truffles the melt in the mouth texture.
- Put the truffle mixture in the refrigerator, until the consitency is hard enough to form balls.
- Make them at a size you wish. Mine was 3/4th of a table spoon. Use a scooper, else a stainless steel spoon should be good.
- Put the cocoa powder in a small bowl. Roll them on cocoa powder. and place them on the serving platter.
- Once it is mixed, let it sit at room temperature(this will take 5-6 hours or even more depending on the room temperature).
- To speed up – Put the truffle mixture in the refrigerator, until the consitency is hard enough to form balls.
- To super speed up – I suggest to put it in the freezer. And you can quickly roll them. But when you use this method. you will definitely put back the rolled truffles back into fridge, to avoid, truffles from sweating.
PARTY SERVING IDEAS
Since, this is an easy party dessert idea. As a result, these are some ideas you can use.
TRUFFLE COATING IDEAS
- Multi-Coloured Rainbow sprinkles – beads, confetti style, heart shaped . You name it, you can use any coatings
- chocolate vermicelli sprinkles – milk, dark white, or a mix
- Cocoa nibs crushed
- Toasted and chopped nuts – almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios.
- or just simple plain icing/confectioners sugar.
- sanding sugar
- sprinkles or coating can be used to colour co-ordinate your party theme and colour
- Serve these on beautiful platters
- Or put them in small paper cups arrange them on a serving platter.
- You can serve them colour co-ordinated paper cups or plates as well.
- You can make these as return favours as well. In a see through box.
This is just one varieties of an easy no bake dessert. There are many to come. Tell me what did you use to coat the truffles.Cant wait to see what you create.
Much Love and Good Day