These Nutella tarts are mini sweet buttery hazelnut crust tarts shells, filled with chocolate hazelnut cream or Gianduja Ganache topped with toasted hazelnuts
Why make this recipe ?
- A delicious sweet tart recipe
- Perfect to make for any occasion
- Can be completely made ahead. Just fill up pre-baked sweet tart shells and serve.
- It has a no-bake filling. This Nutella ganache needs no baking and can be made in a jiffy, if you have prebaked tarts handy.
- So its definitely an amazing recipe idea to make for a huge crowd.
How to make nutella tarts
This Recipe has 2 small easy elements. That make it one show stopping dessert for any occassion.
To proceed with the recipe I suggest making the hazelnut praline first. followed by the tart shell and then the filling.
Hazelnut Praline is an optional step. You can garnish with toasted chopped hazelnuts. The Choice is yours
So lets talk in details here.
- The Tart Shell: The tart shell for this hazelnut mini tarts, is made with toasted hazelnuts, flour sugar butter and flour. These tart shells are pre-baked, cooled and then filled.
- The Tart Filling Nutella Ganache - The filling is simple to whip up. Add in hazelnut chocolate paste-like Nutella to hot cream, and let it set for some time. .
Nutella tarts ingredients
Tart shell Ingredients
Flour - Plain all-purpose flour. We use flour in combination with ground hazelnuts to give a good structure.
Butter - cold diced butter unsalted. Using cold butter gives the tart a perfect crisp buttery crumbly cookie-like tart base.
The butter for this recipe needs to be cold but not frozen. So use cold butter right from the refrigerator. It by no means should be soft.Cut cold butter into cubes, place it back in the refrigerator until use. Remove the butter from the refrigerator only when, you need to use it
Hazelnuts - peeled and toasted hazelnuts are what we will use here. Toast the hazelnuts, reserve some for garnish and use the remaining to make the tart dough.
White granulated sugar - white sugar and nothing else.
Cold water - just plain cold water
Nutella Ganache Ingredients
Heavy or whipping Cream or Double Cream - Any full-fat dairy cream with a fat percentage at about 30% and more
The consistency for the ganache can be altered as per taste and preference. The more cream you use, the more runny and light your ganache will be. And the more nutella you use, you will have a deep nutella flavour. and more thicker will be the consistency.
Heres how to make it Step by step
Making the tart - First and foremost is toasting the hazelnuts and measuring out all your ingredients and keeping your tools ready.
Then make the tart dough - Use a food processor, to make the flour mix, or use a pastry blender or fork. The flour should resemble fine bread crumbs.
Then add in the cold water and make the dough. Refrigerate it covered. While the dough is cooling make the ganache filling.. Save up your time here.
Making the filling - Make the nutella ganache filling. Simple easy 2 step to make this ganache, Just heat the cream and add the nutella. let it set. while baking the tart
Bake the Tart
Roll the dough and cut into small rounds as per your moulds, shape them into the tart mould.
While baking make sure to use ceramic baking beans or red beans.and poke holes on the tarts so it does not rise.
Bake in a preheated oven until the edges are lightly brown.
Cooling & De-moulding Tarts
To demould, first of all the tart should be completely baked.
Cool it completely. Once its cooled, it will lightly pull away from the sides.
Now very Gently, turn the mould upside down, the tart will unmould itself.
Filling the tart shells
Storing Nutella Tarts
I suggest, storing the hazelnut tart shells in an air-tight container and placing them in the refrigerator until required.
You can then fill it up with Nutella ganache and serve
Making Ahead ? Perfect for make ahead
To make these hazelnut tarts ahead - I suggest
- Making the tart shells and storing them in an airtight container and placing them in the refrigerator.
- Then Make the Nutella Ganache. Cover and store in the refrigerator.
To Serve - Bring out everything from the refrigerator.
- Arrange the tarts shells on a serving platter or tray
- Warm the ganache, lightly whip. Fill in the tarts
- Top it with toasted chopped hazelnuts and serve
How do you store filled tarts -
So filled tarts can be stored in room temperature at 24C/75F or store them in refrigerator away from any food item that is strong in odour.
Have you made these, then tag us on insta @sweetspotbakeblog
Mini Nutella Tarts
- bowls for mixing
- food processor
- parchment paper
- mini tart pan or mini individual tart pans or an 8 inch tart pan
- silicone mat (optional)
For the hazelnut Tart shell or the tart base
- 1 cup hazelnuts toasted (Read Instructions)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter cold and diced
- 3 tablespoon cold water
For Nutella Ganache Filling (Read Recipe Notes)
- 1 cup cream full fat dairy cream
- 1 cup Nutella or any gianduja
- Toast the hazelnutsIn an Oven Preheat the oven at 160°C/340, place the hazelnuts on a baking tray. roast for about 4 to 6 mins. Take it out. Remove from the baking tray Alternatively On Stove top Toast hazelnuts on medium heat in a pan on stove. Remove and set aside Reserve some hazelnuts to garnish the tarts.
- Measure all the ingredients and set aside
Making the Tart Dough
- In a food processor, add all the ingredients (Flour, sugar, cold diced butter, toasted hazelnuts, salt )for making the tart dough, except water. Pulse until the flour mix resembles crumbs. Remove from the food processor. Transfer the dough mix to a mixing bowl Read note on butter in the instructions
- Now add the water spoon by spoon. bring the dough together. it will look like a cracked dough ball. its fine. Cling wrap the dough, and store in the refrigerator for about 20 to 30 mins. You can make the nutella ganache at this timeNote: The dough will look crumbly. It is fine.
Preparing the Tart shells for baking
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator
- Place it on a large parchment sheet or silicone mat or even on a clean kitchen counter top.
- Rolling the dough Using a rolling pin, roll the dough carefully to about 4 to 5mm or to a maximum of 6mm or ¼ inch. Using a cookie cutter that is almost the same size as your mini tart size, cut circles.
- Shaping the TartAt this point you will preheat the oven at 170°c/340°FPlace these tart dough rounds into the mini tart pan. Using your finger, shape and flute the edges. Do this for all the mini tarts mouldsUse a fork to make holes. This will prevent the tarts from rising.
Baking the tart
- To bake, place some parchment circles on top of the tarts, place ceramic baking beans or red beans on themPlace these tarts in the middle rack of the oven. Bake in a preheated oven for about 14 to 16 mins. The crust will slightly brown. that is when it is ready to remove from the oven
Making the nutella ganache filling
- In a saucepan, heat cream. When it starts bubbling, add in the nutella and remove from heat Using a spatula, mix the cream and nutella. Set it asideThis is your nutella ganache filling
Cooling and Demoulding Tart Shells
- To demould, first of all the tart should be completely baked. Cool it completely. Once its cooled, it will lightly pull away from the sides. Now very Gently, turn the mould upside down, the tart will unmould itself.
Filling the Tart
- To fill the tart Spoon in the ganache into the baked and cooled tarts. Top with some toasted and chopped hazelnuts.
- Serve at room temperature.