Summer is still here, may be until september end, but the temperatures have definitely gotten better. This Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake Recipe , is moist, fresh and summery. And just reminds how summery and fresh these flavours are. Apart from chocolate, berries are some of my favourite. The balanced sweetness of the blueberries going perfectly well with the tartness of lemons. This is an absolute summer dessert. Pairs with a lot of topping. I have made a simple lemon glaze.
This cake is absolute simple and easy to bake and you can make these for a lot of occassions and reasons or may be no reasons. These are perfect because
- its easy and simple to bake
- This cake can be your breakfast cake. Just some butter, jam or fresh berries on top and your good to go.
- Makes for a great brunch recipe
- It is a make ahead dessert. So you can absolutely make these for any occassion. Just bake and store. Serve at the dinner or party with your favourite toppings
- ingredients just off your pantry
- a simple dessert for a small dinner party.
- with this one cake recipe, you can come up with a lot of variations for toppings and make your own unique dessert.
- It can be a dessert for a crowd, dessert for parties. Its an easy dessert for a crowd. You can make 2 or 3 cakes of this recipe and your sorted to served atleast 25 to 30 people. More on that later in the post.
HOW TO BAKE BLUEBERRY LEMON POUND CAKE
The Blueberry pound cake is based on my Perfect Vanilla pound Cake. It is sweet, a slight tart just moist enough to go with a range of toppings.
- FLOUR – I use basic all purpose flour. No substitute here. We are talking pound cake. So plain flour is good.
- SUGAR – white granulated sugar
- EGGS – whole large eggs at room temperature
- BUTTER – unsalted good quality butter.
- BLUEBERRIES – Fresh or frozen blueberries. If frozen, do not thaw
- LEMON – use good quality lemon. Juice from 2 to 3 lemons.
- MILK – full fat milk. Ive used arla organic milk. They also have lactose free milk. So you can use them too.
Yes thats it, simple ingredients it is.
You will need a bundt pan, Oh yes this is a bundt cake recipe.
You will cream sugar until creamy and then add the eggs, lemon juice and zest. mix in the the flour and fold in the blueberries. pour in the pan. Bake slow at low temperature for an even bake. Baking a perfect pound cake is just about good quality ingredients and perfect bake. Read more about it here
HOW TO MAKE LEMON GLAZE
Lemon glaze is another easy peasy topping glaze for this pound cake. Its just 2 ingredients – whisk in both of them and your glaze is ready. Thats super easy.. Isnt it?
- icing sugar
- lemon juice
BLUEBERRY LEMON POUND CAKE
- bundt pan
- mixing bowls 2 medium and large
- nonstick spray
- electric mixer – highly recommended
- 250 grams unsalted butter room temperature
- 200 grams granulated white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice you can alter according to your taste.
- 2 tsp lemon zest grate the peel lightly to get the zest
- 300 grams all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 100 ml whole full fat milk
- 180 to 200 grams blueberries
FOR LEMON GLAZE
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Preheat the oven at 170ºc, Grease a 9'' or 10'' bundt or an equivalent tube pan or a 9×5 loaf pan. I have used a 9" bundt pan
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour baking powder and salt. Keep aside
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or with an electric mixer. Beat butter until soft and creamy, for about 2 mins on medium speed. Then add the granulated sugar, continue creaming until the batter is smooth. Now at this stage, you beat until sugar is dissolved. But if there are granules of sugar it is fine. It will dissolve completely as we add the eggs.
- now add the eggs one after the other. mixing well at each addition on low speed. Add the lemon juice and the zest. The batter may look curdled. Nothing to worry, its the emulsion in process
- fold in the flour. mix on low speed. This helps in getting to the bottom of the bowl and makes sure that the batter is not over mixed and no flour is left off
- Add milk in the last and give one final mix with the beater or the mixer on low speed. stop the mixer. Add the blueberries and fold in with a spatula just enough to mix in
- Pour the batter in the prepared tin. Bake for 60 to 75mins. depends on your oven. Mine took about 60 mins
- Remove from the oven, let it sit in the pan for 10 mins. Before tranfering to the wire rack. Any longer in the pan, will make the crumbs stick on to the pan
FOR LEMON GLAZE
- whisk in the icing sugar in the lemon juice and mix well until the lumps are gone. drizzle on the cooled down cake.
- LEMON FLAVOUR : flavour depends completely on how much extract or juice you add. You can add lemon juice freshly squeezed. The amount you use totally depends on your taste palate. I recommend 1 tbsp, which is just good enough for a light tart to perfectly balance. If it isnt enough then you always have lemon glaze to cover up for more of your lemon flavour
- Lemon Liquer: Limoncello can also be used for the glaze. gives a nice lemon punch for the pound cake.
- Baking : Bake slow at low temperature
MAKE AHEAD & STORAGE TIPS FOR BLUEBERRY LEMON POUND CAKE
This cake can be made well ahead and frozen or refrigerated.
- Refrigerating the cake: After baking the cake, let it cool completely. Cling wrap the cakes, keep theem chilled in the refrigerator. Bring it to room temperature before serving. In the refrigerator it will stay up to a week.
- If your making this 2 days in advance, it will stay good in room temperature(around 25 deg celsius)
I suggest, you bake about 2 days in advance. The cake will be moist and still fresh. Since this is a butter cake, it will harden (because of the butter) up in the refrigerator.
HOW TO SERVE LEMON & BLUEBERRY POUND CAKE AND TOPPING IDEAS
Before Serving the Cake, bring the pound cake completely to room temperature. If not the butter in the cake, tends to be in a solid state, resulting in a hard cake. So do not forget to bring the cake to room temperature. Even slightly warm will do good.
- Serve Lemon n Blueberry pound cake, with the glaze drizzled on top.
- with lemon whipped cream and some blueberries
- lavender infused whipped cream and caramelised figs
- greek yoghurt and some more blueberries
- vanilla ice cream and some berry compote. a complete dessert I would say
- sometimes just plain slices of this pound cake is just enough
HOW TO SERVE A BIG CROWD ?
If you are serving this for a big crowd of
- BAke the cakes ahead, cling wrap and store them in the refrigerator.
- On the day of your party, Bring it to room temperature completely. ( If you live in a cold region, I suggest you lightly warm it up in a microwave).
- slice them into a good 1 to 2 inch slices using a serrated knife or a bread knife.
- Give a variety of toppings – some crowd pleasing topping can be Vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, Caramelized nuts or figs, Berry compote or coulis.
- You can arrange these in small self serving bowls. with a cake serving tray that has sliced pound cake
Now, let me know how do you like blueberry lemon cake paired with ? Meanwhile reach out to me @sweetspotbakeblog or im just a comment away Would love to know how you liked this one.