Chocolate Chunk cookies – Chocolate and cookies Oh my what a combination !!! We have a zillion of varieties of , coming off that lovely duet. I personally love cookies, especially baked and hot out of the oven, nothing matches that. my husband loves them too; so a box of cookies is always at home. (just one a day doesnt harm our fitness goals, yes we are foodies and fitness lovers!! )These Chocolate Chunk cookies I would say are the typical American bakery style. It is crisp on the edges, with just the right amount of chewiness.. !!
Read on and you’ll know why I call it The Bakery Style Cookies
BAKERY STYLE CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIE DOUGH
Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies – Chunks of chocolate, tucked into a cookie dough and baked to perfection.
The Chocolate Chunk Cookie is very simple, starts with a lovely basic cookie dough, it has a perfect blend of granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter, flour & eggs. This dough gives an extra chewiness, soft in the center, a tad bit of crispness at the edges, and some dark rich chocolate chunks to create some chocolate bursts.
- The granulated sugar gives the cookie structure, sweetness and tenderness; the domination of Brown sugar to granulated sugar in the recipe contributes to the colour, a bit of chewiness that i was talking about earlier and when combined with eggs makes it just right to be called the Bakery style cookie
- Eggs tend a rich flavour and adds moisture, structure to cookies
- The secret here is that we use melted butter; why ?? using melted butter gives the right softness to the cookie as opposed to cold butter or cool soft to touch butter (will tell you when we use cold butter or soft to touch room temp butter). Here we are talking about chewy cookie. so we stick to melted butter.
- Flour, as a mandate ingredient for structure and binding to form a good consistency cookie dough. but the flour is less than the chocolate that we use. So the dough is considerably soft
- A tad bit of baking soda, to help tenderize the dough and aid in spreading the cookie, giving a bakery style cookie.
- And the protagonist here, chocolate. Bite sized chocolate chunks gives a lovely indulge. Any dark chocolate above 70% is what gives a deep rich bittersweet taste.we use chunks here to create small chocolate bursts as you bite your cookie.
HOW TO BAKE BAKERY STYLE CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
FIRST, Just some simple tools
- a mixing bowl
- a beater or a whisk
- rubber spatula
- cookie sheet / a flat baking tray
- ice cream scoop or a tablespoon or even get your hands messed
- parchment paper
We mix the melted butter and the sugars until it is well blended. Then add the egg and the flour to form a dough. Once the cookie dough is made, we add chunks of chocolate; give a mix, line them up & pop it in the oven. Thats it.. Simple ? Yes it is.
Now off you go grab those ingredients from the pantry and bake away to fill up the cookie jar.
BAKERY STYLE CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
- 115 gms unsalted butter melted – measure and melt
- 140 gms brown sugar
- 80 gms granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 gms all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 200 gms dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven at 180ºC. Line a cookie sheet with a parchment paper lightly greased.
- With a hand whisk, mix the melted butter, sugars to a mixture. To this add the egg and vanilla extract.
- Sift in the flour with baking powder and salt
- fold in the chocolate chunks. Refrigerate the dough for a minimum 2 hours.
- Remove from the Scoop out using a cookie scoop or about 1.5 tsbp of cookie dough.
- Bake for 12 to 15 mins.
- Let them cool completely on the sheet before transferring to the wire rack.
- Chewiness Factor : More brown sugar to granulated sugar, Melted butter & considerably less flour. All this gives the extra chewiness.
- Melted butter : melt butter in the pan and let it cool down to room temperature but does not solidify back.
- Chocolate Chunks I have used are ready to use chunks & some chunks chopped off a dark chocolate bar. You can use any brand bar like Lindt 70%, Valrhona 66 % and above, Hersheys dark chocolate bar – all chopped into erratic bite sized pieces.
- These cookies tend to spread well, because of the room temperature melted butter. But if you want to chill the dough, you can do so for 2 hours minimum . In that case, the cookie will spread a little lesser. Or you chill cookie dough balls for 1 hour. Or freeze the dough balls for 15 mins if your pressed for time. Whichever is convenient
- These Cookies stay in room temperature for 1 week. If it lasts that long.. !!
MAKE AHEAD TIP
- These cookies can be made ahead.
- Make the dough well ahead and freeze them.
- Or another option is Make the dough and also make the dough balls. Freeze them in a zip loc.
- Then, the time you want to bake them, just preheat the oven, pop the cookie dough balls into the oven. And bake for an extra minute (because the dough was frozen)
Thats it with the Bakery Style Chocolate Chunk Cookies… but loads more treats coming your way!! do get in touch, if you need help with any of your baking queries… For more Easy Recipes here
Thank you & Much Love