This post here, is all about common brownie fails and how to fix them. You will learn all the common brownie failures that we come across, what causes them and how to fix them.
Diving straight away to all the brownie mistakes we can make
COMMON BROWNIES FAILS & HOW TO FIX THEM
these are some of the most common brownie fails and mistakes that we come across while baking brownies. Most of the brownie mistakes can be rectified in your next brownie baking batch.
1. Brownies sinking
So why are my brownies sinking ? There are 3 reasons why
Over mixing brownie batter: after the addition of flour which is the last step. just fold flour in the batter until all the flour is incorporated well. avoid over mixing at this stage.
High oven Temperature : high temperature of the oven, will cause the brownies to rise rapidly and fall quickly. This also happens because, brownies dont have any leavening agents to hold on to.
How to fix them ?
Next time while baking brownies to avoid sinking brownies
- Avoid over beating or over mixing batter. just fold in the flour gently until all the flour is mixed.
- Avoid putting your brownies onto high temperature oven. Use an oven thermometer for precise oven temperature.
- Bake brownies at 170
2. Brownies are flat
So why are my brownies flat
Brownies turn flat when there is less air incorporated or less sugar. Beating eggs and sugar is what gives the brownie it body, volume and structure. WHen you use less sugar, then there is less volume or height to the brownie
How to fix ?
- Always use the right amount of sugar as specified in the recipe.
- Beat sugars and eggs well until fluffy.
- Then incorporate the flour and fold in just until there are no flour streaks.
3. Brownies are not rising
Why are my brownies not rising? - This is because, there is not enough batter in your pan. and not enough air incorporated or there is not much leavening ingredients like egg in your batter.
How to fix it ?
- Always beat your sugars and eggs well until fluffy and pale. almost to the ribbon stage.
- Always fill your pan to atleast ¾ of the pan. So whichever recipe you are using, follow the pan size mentioned in the recipe, unless and otherwise a substitute is specified.
4. Brownies are too crumbly
Why are my brownies too crumbly - There are several reasons for crumbly brownies - either you over baked the brownie, or underbaked and cut it way too soon and there is less fat and liquid ingredients in the brownie batter.
Over baked brownies make it too dry and crumbly
Underbaked brownies, make it crumbly too
Brownies crumble when they are cut through way too soon before completely cooling.
Brownies also crumble, when there is not enough structure. It will just fall apart.
How to fix ?
- Bake at the right temperature for the time as mentioned in the recipe.
- Just bake until its done. Do not under bake that is pull it out of the oven, much before its fully done.
- Some recipes, that does not have enough protein to support the structure then it crumbles
- Always cut the brownies, when it completely cools down
5. Brownies are Cakey
Brownies turn out to be cakey,
when there is a higher proportion of flour to fat.
Also brownies becomes cakey, because a lot of air is incorporated resulting in a lighter airy crumb.
Also using only white sugar can also cause less moist batter, resulting in a more cakey brownie.
How to Fix ?
Always measure flour correctly >> How to measure flour correctly
For fudgy chewy brownies - use brown sugar, bake until you see crumbs sticking to the tooth pick.
6. Brownies Are Oily
My brownies are oily and bubbling on the top while baking - why so
There are few reasons -
- The fat like butter, is way too high. Causing the brownie mixture to bubble while baking and also leaving the top of the brownie oily.
- The other reason being - The quality of butter and Chocolate used. Good quality of chocolate and butter is highly recommended. sometimes using old chocolate that has been lying in the pantry can also cause oil bubbling or oily brownies.
How to Fix them ?
Use good quality chocolate. Something like callebaut, valhrona, ghirardelli
Use the right quantity of butter in your brownie recipe. Too high quantity of butter or fat in the recipe will result in bubbling your brownie
7. Brownies fall apart
Why are the brownies falling apart while removing from the pan ?
The one most common mistakes we do with brownies is, we cut them too soon. While its still warm or not completely cooled.
Other reason why brownies are falling apart is the brownie structure itself is too weak, either there is very less flour, too much of fat and liquid. So it doesnt hold up.
Another reason is - the pan is not lined and greased well.
How To Fix
- Always cool Brownies completely before cutting them. first let it cool in the pan for atleast 20 mins. Then remove from the pan and let it completely cool for atleast an hour before cutting
- Pick the right recipe, Too much of fat or liquid will not give you good brownies.
- Always line with a parchment sheet with the sides up. And grease well.
Do you think there is any other brownie fails that I did not cover ? Then shoot a mail to me firstname.lastname@example.org
Or Reach me on Insta @sweetspotbakeblog.
Read other Brownie baking articles