This post has everything you need to know about baking a brownie. Here you go, directly diving in.
Even before I start talking about what makes a perfect brownie, there is nothing like making a perfect brownie, because a brownie is perfect to every person in a myriad of different ways. Some like it classic, cakey, some fudgy. Some like all the decadence loaded in them like nuts, chocolates, marshmallows, cookies, pretzels, toffee, candies. And take a notch higher with a decadent frosting.
Brownie is the most versatile and forgiving bake; you can make a brownie just the way you want it to taste.
It can give you around a ton of recipes with its permutations and combinations.
A brownie is a simple tray bake consisting of eggs, flour, sugar, chocolate!!! Is it that simple, yes it is as simple as whipping it up in a single bowl. But, for the perfect brownie it all boils down to the quality and the quantity and its ratios of the ingredients.
a quick look into the
TOOLS & PANS
to give you a good brownie.
- mixing Bowl
- a whisk
- a rubber spatula
- a double boiler or a microwave
- a pastry brush
- measuring cups, measuring spoons & weighing scale.
- Pans – Brownies are best baked in rectangular or square shaped pans with straight edge. Some standard size pans for standard recipes are usually
- So ,a 9×9 inch square; an 8×8 inch ; a half sheet or a full sheet pan. does good.
First things first, for a decadent brownie, a good quality chocolate is of utmost and prime essential. Im not talking about too expensive ones, but a good quality chocolate. It’s a matter of personal choice here.
CHOCOLATE & COCOA POWDER
The quality of chocolate determines, the taste of your brownies its that simple. you can use
- unsweetened chocolate bar – pure 100% cacao, can experiment with the amount of sugar in the recipe ;
- dark chocolate – any brand dark chocolate anything 70% to 100% cocoa will give a richer deep dark intense flavor to the brownie
- bittersweet or semisweet, milk chocolate, or Couverture chocolate. The use of solid chocolate bar gives the brownie, the dense and fudge taste
Cocoa powder – some recipes use cocoa powder in combination with chocolate , natural or dutch processed. Natural gives an intense flavor with lighter color and dutch process gives a milder taste. using only cocoa powder gives a brownie, a cake like texture and will lack moisture. A combination of both will give a deep rich chocolatey taste.
Sugar : Gives the brownie the sweetness, texture and taste.
- brown soft sugar gives the brownie the fudge texture. or if you want to keep things simple just standard granulated white sugar will do. But a mix of both will give you just the right sweetness, balanced texture and just the right fudge note.
eggs : Give moisture and rich taste to the brownies. eggs whipped lightly with sugar gives the brownie the crinkle on top.
butter or oil : usually melted butter is used in a brownie recipe. canola or sunflower oil also can be used. butter gives taste and oil gives a moist texture.
Flour : As a rule of thumb, flour in the brownie is just to blend the ingredients well, so the quantity is kept to a minimum
Baking powder gives a little rise, which is totally fine with me. Apparently your brownies remain fudgy as well as have a good height.
apart from this, you can just make your imagination go wilder and add any favorite nuts, cookies, extra chocolate chunks chips or marshmallows or pretzels.. and your just spoilt for choice.
BAKING THE BROWNIES
To bake brownies, the pan is greased and floured. you need to line the parchment, so that it is above the sides and edges of the pan. In that case, it eases out while taking out the brownie from the pan.
- preheat oven to 160 to 170ºc
- Grease and line your pans with parchment paper, with the sides going beyond the edges, so that you can easily lift.
- melt the fat (butter or oil) with chocolate
- whisk the eggs and sugar. Add the chocolate mixture
- add in the dry ingredients. Mix well until its a gooey mixture.
- fill in the pan, bake until tooth pick inserted comes out with some crumbs.
- let it cool in the pan, and then remove from the pan.
- let it completely cool. before cutting them( a perfect slice can be anywhere between 2.5×2.5″ to 3×3″ )
BROWNIES SHELF LIFE & STORAGE
- Brownies taste best after a day, when all the flavour is settled in. Giving in a rich dark chocolate taste. So you can store them in the refrigerator and warm them up before serving or indulging. (Brownies are meant for indulging)
- If your normal room temperature is around 24 deg celsius. You can store them in room temperature for about a week(If it lasts that long)
Now that, you know how a perfect brownie is made, heres a recipe for a classic brownie
Good day & much love