Learn to make a versatile Homemade Cherry Compote, completely from scratch. That you can use for so many baked goodies as toppings, fillings and so much more.
Homemade Cherry Compote Recipe
- is one of the easiest and versatile recipe. Because, you can use it as a compote and as a sauce. about it in the post further.
- Use it in a variety of desserts as accompaniments like toppings, fillings, swirls and as sauce
- Can be stored and frozen for a longer period of time.
- You will never go for a store bought compote.
WHAT IS A COMPOTE
A compote, is basically a fruit based sauce. A fresh tinned or frozen fruit, cooked with sugar on heat, until the fruits are reduced to a pulpy and light chunky form So it is a chunky fruit sauce. That is used in a variety of desserts for accompaniments, toppings filling, swirls and much more.
The Best thing about a fruit compote is that it is versatile, because you can just make it to any consistency of your choice. by adjusting and playing around with the ingredients.
HOW TO MAKE CHERRY COMPOTE & SAUCE FROM SCRATCH
First the Ingredients – CHERRIES, WHITE SUGAR, WATER, LIME OR LEMON JUICE, CORNSTARCH.
Do not have corn starch ? – then you can use arrowroot powder, potato starch. Also a gluten free and vegan option
In these ingredients, sugar and water can be adjusted for sweet and consistency. Let me tell you how
To make a sauce,
Use more water and reduce it little, until the cherries have been mashed and pulpy completely and the juices are out and it is still watery. You can then strain it using a strainer. However you will need to double the recipe.
WHAT CHERRIES SHOULD I USE TO MAKE CHERRY COMPOTE
For cherry sauce or compote, you can use any kind of cherries
Fresh, frozen or tinned. And this is one of the best ways to use up frozen cherries
While using fresh – Measure, remove the stalk, pit them and use
And to use Frozen cherries – frozen cherries are available in pitted and with seeds. So it depends what you find. So you measure, pit and use.
Tinned Cherries – Tinned cherries, are one the fastest ways – I have used tinned cherries here. it is faster to make, because cherries are softer.
Any type is actually good to go. sour or sweet. So, you can actually use up sour cherries to make this compote
Any brands are fine too – But I would suggest, picking up local farm grown ones, that ways, you can support the local farm community too.
Where and How to Use this Homemade Cherry Compote
- Fillings in cakes, cupcakes, cheesecakes. You can fill cakes while making layer cakes
- Layer them for shot glass desserts, top it on a mousse or mini desserts
- Sauce for topping pancakes, waffles, french toast. You can use chunky compote or even fine sauce too.
- Dessert topping on cheesecakes, brownies, cakes and cupcakes.
- Top it on ice creams
- Incorporate Cherry compote in Ice Cream like Black forest Ice cream
- Make the compote a little chunky and less sauce – it would be perfect recipe for a homemade cherry pie filling.
- swirl in a cheesecake, cake or brownie, Make the cherry compote by reducing it completely and the cherries are almost like a preserve thickness. This you can swirl in cheesecakes, cakes cupcakes or brownies batter and bake.
- Serves as a perfect spread for bread toasts too. -Reduce the compote to a thick consistency, to use as spread.
This Compote Recipe, is a versatile and suits all most every kind of dessert. From cakes to Shot glass desserts
AND EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CHERRY COMPOTE
once you make the compote. let it cool completely in room temperature. Then transfer to a clean, dry glass jar or an airtight container. And then refrigerate until you need it for serving or using in baked goodies.
Store it in the main refrigerator and not on the door.
How to serve cherry compote
always use a clean dry spoon. Never use a soiled spoon, this will spoil the shelf life of the cherry compote.
To use in baked goodies – bring the compote to room tempera
Can I freeze cherry compote ?
Yes, you can freeze, the cherry compote.
To use – Put the frozen cherry compote in a sauce pan on low heat. The heat will loosen up, and bring it to the desired consistency. Remove from heat. Cool and Use.
HERE’S how we make it step by step
What did you make this cherry compote for ? How did you use it ?
Let me know on Insta
EASY CHERRY COMPOTE
Tools/Equipment you will need
- mixing bowl
- mason Jar
- 200 grams cherries – tinned, frozen or fresh pitted Measure and then pit them.
- 60 grams white sugar
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 240 ml water – if using tinned cherries, use that water.
- measure the ingredients
- Pit the cherries. set aside.
- mix lime juice and corn starch. set aside.
- In a saucepan on medium heat, add the cherries, sugar and water and bring to a boil.
- While it is boiling, turn the heat to low, and let it reduce. Until the cherries are completely soft.
- At this point, you will remove from heat, whisk the lime cornstarch mix and add it to the cherries compote. Mix thoroughly.
- Let it cool completely before storing in the refrigerator or using.
- CHERRIES – use any type of cherries, fresh frozen and tinned.
- SUGAR – the sugar amount can be adjusted, start with the amount given in the recipe and you can go upto 100 grams
- CONSISTENCY – you can adjust the compote’s consistency. by reducing it until not fully mashed, you can have some whole cherries. Else you can make it the way i have made it. So it completely depends on how you want it.