Muffins are a great way to start a day, they are loaded with all the goodness of a great breakfast, and gets you off for a good start. these Raspberry Muffins are just that
WHAT IS A MUFFIN ?
A muffin, is a spongy domed single serving cake like breakfast bake. And presumed to be off North American origin dating to the 19th century. Muffins have different variation in the United States and the Great Britain. In Britain it is yeast based flat bread muffin, that to be serves like a bread toast and goes with jam honey sausage.
Here we are talking about the muffins originated in the United states. Muffins are traditionally eaten for breakfast with coffee or tea.
Muffins are a great way to start a day, they are loaded with all the goodness of a great breakfast. and gets you off for a good start.
THE MUFFIN BATTER …
A muffin is generally made of wholewheat or plain flour, granulated or brown sugar, eggs, butter, oil. Loaded with berries, fruits, nuts, dark chocolate. The batter itself is thick and resembles a cake batter.
So basically we can have one base recipe and build up any number of varieties.
RASPBERRY & CHOCOLATE MUFFIN
Like I said before, muffins are made with a variety of berries, nuts, fruits and chocolate. some classic varieties are blueberry muffins, raspberry muffins, double or triple chocolate muffins, oatmeal banana muffins. Ingredients are picked to give a complete healthy meal in one muffin.
Plain flour, dark brown sugar, cinnamon powder for flavour, eggs, some baking powder, vegetable oil & buttermilk, and raspberries (fresh or frozen) and mini choco chips. are some of the ingredients that we use for this muffin.
What goes into this muffin
This muffin has some simple ingredients, just off your shelf
- Flour, eggs are some basic ingredients for a muffin.
- Dark brown sugar is used to give a lovely brown colour and moisture to the muffin. It is also considered to be less refined than the granulated white sugar. I have used a combination of both the sugars
- Eggs contribute to richness in flavour, moisture and the fat. helps emulsifies the batter and aids structure
- Vegetable oil for a moister crumb
- buttermilk for a tender crumb, and a little tanginess balances well with the tartness of the raspberries.
- and some mini chocochip for an extra flavour and always a winning combination with raspberries.
The batter is easy to pull up together. Mix all the dry ingredients, and all the wet ingredients in different bowls. Fold in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Thats it.
Gather your Tools
- slotted muffin pans or cupcake pans
- muffin liners
- mixing bowls (large and small)
- a whisk is just fine for this recipe
- ice cream scoop ( to scoop out equal amounts to get even muffin sizes) or any spoon or ladle
Heres the recipe
RASPBERRY CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
- 350 gms all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 120 grams dark or light brown sugar
- 80 grams granulated white sugar
- 240 ml buttermilk
- 120 ml vegetable oil
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 -200 grams fresh or frozen raspberries
- 120 grams dark choco chips
- Preheat oven at 180ºc. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon & salt. Keep aside. This is your dry ingredients
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, sugar until well blended. Add in oil, vanilla extract, and butter milk.
- Fold in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mix until well incorporated. The batter will be thick.
- Add the raspberries and the choco chips. Give a final fold.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop out the batter in to the muffin liners
- Bake for 18 mins, checking in between 15 & 18 mins.
- Take it out the oven. Check for doneness. let it cool for 10 mins on the wire rack. Then store in an air tight container
- Use Fresh or Frozen raspberries. Ive used fresh raspberries here
- Do not over mix the batter. Overmixing will give you hard muffins.
- Every oven is different, adjust your baking time according to the oven. I also recommend using an oven thermometer, to get the right temperature.
- you can use chocolate chunks also.
Raspberry chocochip is just one great combination for a muffin. You will even like my other muffin recipe.
There are other recipes coming up on the blog soon.
In the meanwhile, happy baking.
Much Love and Good Day