I have this addiction to try new cafes, their menus especially baked goodies here in Dubai, and the place where i stay is called the Manhattan of Dubai, so you can imagine the number of cafes here, I happened to step into this beautifully set up turkish cafe, and tried their their plain cookie, and oh… was I bowled over…!!! It was just right, soft and chewy, a littly crumbly… whitish in colour with just a few choco chips and it was called plain cookie and just perfect for my taste. After I left the cafe. I was still craving for a similar cookie, and my trials ended in this recipe one..!! So thats where the motivation came for this recipe.
The Earlier chocolate chunk cookie recipe was quite crisp, soft in the center and chewy with large chocolate pockets coming out of those chopped chocolate bits and chunks.. this ones a soft and chewy chocochip cookies.. here it is.
SOFT AND CHEWY CHOCO CHIP COOKIES
Now this one is a seriously soft chewy choco chip cookie, it is the classic choco chip cookie. But it is one recipe for those who like their cookie to be soft, chewy but not crisp. I love my choco chip cookie to be soft, thick and the chewiest. This recipe is just that, so for you all soft chewy cookie team.. Here you go.
A quick run through the ingredients
This cookie has the same basic ingredients – but proportions change, and that makes a world of difference.
- Flour – we use patent or bread flour or all purpose flour, using bread flour gives a little extra chewiness to the cookie. I have used all purpose flour
- Eggs – eggs an important ingredient, but here an extra egg yolk instead of a whole one. the egg yolk gives a rich flavour and contriutes to that extra chewiness
- Sugars – A combination of both granulated white sugar and brown sugar, with brown sugar dominating the ratio.
- Butter – is melted room temperature. melted butter contributes to the moistness chewiness and softness
- Chocolate Chips – Dark, semisweet or milk anything is good, but the quantity is more. Dont we want chocolate bursting at every bite …? Dark chocolate is the preference though.
Other mandatory ingredients being vanilla extract, baking soda.
- Large and medium mixing bowls
- Whisk and spatula
- A cookie baking tray
- parchment sheet
- cookie scoop or a tablespoon or just your hands
Soft and chewy chocochip Cookie dough
The dough is simple like the Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookie, – start with whisking sugars, eggs, vanilla until fluffy. Mixing it with the dry ingredients.
HERE’s THE TRICK TO SOFT CHEWY COOKIES
There is one important step for a soft chewy cookie, that cannot be avoided. The dough needs to be refrigerated for at least 30 mins but 2 hours is perfect. Chilling the cookie dough, bakes up the cookie soft and thick. And it also enhances the cookie flavour.
MY TIP : The cookie dough frozen overnight or for a few days gives the best taste
For soft cookies, these are baked until the edges are light brown and tops are just done. Take it out and rest on the tray for 10 mins and then transfer to the wire rack.
READ THE RECIPE NOTES
Here is the recipe. This one I tried with a small batch, you can double the recipe and it just works fine.
SOFT CHEWY CHOCOCHIP COOKIE
- 175 g all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 115 g butter melted and brought to room temperatur
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 75 g brown sugar soft and dark
- 100-150 g chocochips mini, dark or semisweet
- In a saucepan melt butter. Keep aside. Let it come down to room temperature or just warm to touch
- Meanwhile, measure ingredients and keep it ready.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt. Keep aside
- In another bowl, use an electric beater and combine, melted butter, and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla extract. blend until well mixed.
- Now slowly fold in the flour mixture, mix until all the flour is just combined. Add in the chocolate chips.
- Keep the cookie dough covered in the refrigerator for atleast 30 mins to maximum 2 hours. Overnight chilled dough tastes best. Read the recipe notes
AFTER CHILLING THE DOUGH
- Preheat oven at 170°c. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper.
- Scoop out 2 or 3 tbsp of dough and place them on the tray.
- bake them for 12 mins, until the edges are light brown and the top is done.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest on the cookie sheet for 5 to 8mins before transfering on to the cooling rack.
- the soft chewy chocochip cookie, tastes best when chilled longer. Having said that, you can chill the dough for minimum 20 mins and maximum of 3 – 4 hours.
- You can manipulate the chilling time according to your convenience.
- if you want to keep the dough for any longer you can freeze them.
- leave them in the oven for an extra minute or two.
- TO CHILL – just wrap the cling over the dough bowl and chill them
- TO FREEZE – cling wrap the entire dough in cling wrap and place them in zip loc pouches and put them in the freezer. ( so your only 10 mins aways from a delicious cookie)
The cookie dough can be frozen for a good 3 months.
Baked cookies stay fresh for a week in room temperature stored in an airtight container.
Cookies turn out best when little things are followed. Make sure you do them and enjoy the process of baking. Bake them and you will not reach out for another recipe.. My promise.
Thank you & Much Love