We all are on the look out for, quick easy breakfast ideas. Muffins, are a classic idea of a good and easy breakfast.Muffins can be made in a huge variety of combinations.So the famous ones, are the berry Muffins. Blueberry oatmeal muffins are super loaded muffin, as i would love to call it. It has berries, the goodness of oats, and milk. Makes for a filling breakfast.
QUICK EASY AND MAKE AHEAD .. WHY ?
- Easy to bake
- Make ahead breakfast …. These blueberry oatmeal muffins can be made ahead. Read the tips in the post
- Prepped Ahead – These muffins can be prepped earlier, to bake these lovely blueberry beauties fresh in the morning. Read the tips
- Can be stored for a good 3 to 4 days.
- Convenient breakfast – Because you can save time in the mornings.
HOW TO BAKE BLUEBERRY OATMEAL MUFFINS
Before getting any further a quick look in to the tools
- 2 Bowls – Large and Medium
- electric beater or whisk. I prefer electric beater for this recipe
- muffin liners, any size you wish.
- 12 hole muffin pan.
Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins, use these ingredients
- All purpose flour or whole wheat flour. In my opinion, using whole wheat flour with oats, makes the muffin too dense. So I prefer all purpose flour. If you do not want to use refined flour, go ahead and use whole wheat flour. It will be a little denser.
- cinnamon powder for flavour
- Sugar – soft brown sugar and coconut sugar. If you intend to use coconut sugar completely. It is completely fine.
- Baking powder for lightening up this heavy loaded muffin.
- oats – Can be used in different ways with different oats. Oats are of different types
- Steel cut oats – coarse, pin head structure.
- rolled oats – further processed to get oatmeal
- instant quick oats – most processed and thinnest.
I have use rolled oats here. You can either use rolled oats or instant. The best thing about using these 2 types of oats is that, you dont feel like there is oats in. Which is why I love them. And even the kids will not be fussy. Have a look at this gorgeous inside. There is one tiny little hack for that moist texture. Read below.
- blueberries – fresh or frozen.
- Eggs and Oil (vegetable oil or canola oil)
- Milk – Full fat cow’s milk, I used organic milk. If you are looking for lactose free then, almond milk, coconut milk or soy milk in the same quantity can be used.
Mixing & baking
These muffins, use the blending method of mixing. The dry ingredients go in to the emulsion of eggs oil and sugar. But, a small hack, will make the muffins, moist and you wont realise there was oats in there.
Once the sugar, eggs, vanilla, oil and egg is mixed, add in the oats and let it soak up. This makes the oats softer and in turn leaves the muffin moister. This soaking of oats in the milk is what makes the oatmeal.
Bake these at a little low temperature and a little longer. In addition, these muffins will not rise much because the oats will weigh them down.
Heres the recipe. This recipe is based on my Best blueberry muffins
BLUEBERRY OATMEAL MUFFINS
- 200 grams all purpose flour/whole wheat flour If using whole wheat flour read recipe notes
- 120 grams oats rolled or instant.
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 120 ml oil vegetable or canola
- 240 ml milk
- 250 gms blueberries
- 80 gms soft brown sugar
- 80 gms coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 160°c. Line the muffin pan with liners or spray with non stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, cinnamon powder salt, baking powder. whisk and keep aside
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk eggs vanilla, add sugars, oil, milk. With an electric beater, beat well until it forms an emulsion. To this add the oats and let it soak up for about 2 to 4 mins.
- Now fold in the flour gently in to the oatmeal mixture, and give one mix on lowest speed with the electric beater.
- Finally add the blueberries.and fold until evenly spread.
- Bake for 12 to 15 mins at 160°c. Or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the muffins stay in the pan for about 15 mins, before transferring to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Use fresh or frozen blueberries. Frozen blueberries can directly be used. No need to thaw
- I recommend not using whole wheat flour with oats, the muffins will get denser. But if using whole wheat flour. Increase the milk to 260ml
- Milk Replacement for Lactose intolerant – almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, oats and rice milk.
- Sugars – Coconut sugar.
MAKE AHEAD AND PREP TIPS
These muffins, can be made ahead in 2 ways
- One, you can bake blueberry oatmeal muffins and store them in an airtight container, in room Temperature or in refrigerator. In room temperature it stays good for 3 to 4 days. In refrigerator it stays well up to a week. As a result, You can bake this well ahead and store. Warm them up before serving. Works well for busy weekday mornings and a quick snack for kids
- Another way, you can make this muffin ahead, is by prepping well ahead.
- What you can do is, measure the dry ingredients, mix well. Store them in a zip loc. Write the wet ingredients on them. So you know what goes into it.
- At the time you want to bake them, Pre heat the oven. Mix up the wet ingredients. Fold in the flour mixture that you have measured and kept. Pour in the liners and bake until done. And there you are having a fresh morning breakfast in under 15mins.
What are you waiting for, just grab those ingredients, bake it off and keep peace at mornings.
Much Love and Good Day