What happens, when sudden dessert cravings hit you? You want something comforting, something you can cuddle into and binge watch. For me its always chocolate, and always chocolate. Something warm, gooey and Im sorted. These Chocolate Chip Mug Cake just fits in right. AND THE BEST part is, you can top it off with some chocolate syrup. For more topping ideas, further down. Read up. Ok let me be honest here, this chocochip mug cake I made them into 2 single serving cakes in two ramekins. YES..!! WITH THE SAME RECIPE. And one more thing, this can be baked in an airfryer as well. And that is why I call this my Super Lazy Dessert.
This Chocolate chip mug Cake is
- Moistest, Chocolatey, Gooey.
- Perfect for emergency dessert cravings and for serious chocolate lovers
- Easy and Quick Dessert to make.
- Recommend for an after school snack too.
HOW TO BAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP MUG CAKE
The chocolate chip mug cake is super easy to whip up and bake. No fancy techniques here. Just your simple dessert homemade.
I generally dont use cup measurements in my recipes, but this was done very impulsively so all in cups and spoons. First the tools
- Oven safe, microwave safe or airfryer safe mug-350ml or 12 oz capacity.
- or 2 Ramekins.
- a small whisk
- measuring spoons and cups
- Oven or an Airfryer. This one I baked using an Airfryer. I use Black and Decker and have been exploring this super convenient equipment.
Flour – just plain all purpose flour here.
Sugar – granulated white or brown/ or a combination of both.
Oil – vegetable oil
milk – full fat milk, or any lactose or plant based milk.
cocoa powder – unsweetened cocoa powder here – I used special dark Hersheys cocoa powder.
Semisweet or dark or bitter sweet chocolate chips – Anything that suits your taste.
Chocolate syrup for topping – I used Hersheys sugar free ( I had only that) Chocolate syrup. You can use Nutella, or some melted peanut butter.
BAKING CHOCOCHIP MUG CAKE
This is a simple one bowl batter. All the ingredient go into bowl and whisked until mixed well. Pour the batter in the mug or ramekins. Now with the ingredients
For Vegan – Use plant based milk
For Gluten Free – Use 1:1 gluten free baking flour, and replace baking powder with a gluten free baking powder. almond flour works fine too.
For Sugars Substitute – You can use coconut sugar.
You can bake these in different ways suitable to you
- Microwave – takes about 1 to 2 mins on high
- Oven – about 12 to 15 mins + preheat time
- Airfryer – 12 to 16 mins. – directly place the mug in the airfryer and bake. I used this one
So this recipe, you can absolutely bake in any equipment of your convenience. This one here is baked in an Airfryer. I recommend oven or an airfryer though.
CHOCOLATE CHIP MUG CAKE
Tools/Equipment you will need
- AIRFRYER OR
- OVEN OR MICROWAVE
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 – 3 tbsp granulated white or brown sugar – I used brown
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup full fat milk or plant based milk
- 2 – 3 tbsp choco chips – for the batter and some for topping the batter.
- Preheat oven. Lightly grease the ramekins or the mug. Note: If using an Airfryer, you will not preheat.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder. whisk well to equally incorporate everything.
- To the dry flour mixture, add the oil, milk and mix well until well blended. In the last add the chocolate chips and fold.
- Transfer the batter, to ramekins or to the mug(if only for you)
- Bake for 12 mins in the oven or until a tooth pick inserted comes with crumbs
- If baking in oven, around 12 mins should be fine.
- If baking in Airfryer – I put at 170, for 12 mins. Check in between 10 to 12 mins.
How to bake for parties or a crowd
- Keep your dry ingredients ready.
- Measure wet ingredients and keep it ready as well.
- On the day of your party, Bake it in the end or just before laying your table or dinner or your food.
- Another option is – you can also bake it while the lunch is happening, that way the cake is still warm
- Another way is to bake them ahead, and lightly warm them up before serving. This way you can save your time and enjoy while hosting your party.
SERVING IDEAS –
FOR A HUGE CROWD – I recommend using foil cups to bake and serve or any bake and serve paper cups.
Here are some topping ideas that would go well. I would stick to some classic ones here. But feel free to go wild with your palate.
I prefer topping ideas like this – a small ice cream scoop sauce and nuts or keep it simple like sauce and toasted nuts
- Melted Peanut Butter and roasted crushed peanuts
- Chocolate syrup with chocolate chips or peanut butter chips
- Drizzle some caramel sauce
- Nutella and some toasted hazelnuts.
- A scoop of vanilla bean icecream will just take it to another level.
I Insist on chocolate sauce and some more chocolate chips. Whats your topping ?
Hit a mail, or comment, reach out.
Until then, Happy Baking
Happy Summer Holidays.
Take Care &Much Love