This Berry Granola is healthy, nutritious, wholesome breakfast for busy days. Triple Berry Granola are completely free of refined sugar, gluten-free, vegan friendly, loaded with berries Make these ahead for a neat clean morning breakfast
The most common go-to breakfast is either muesli or granola or cereals. Personally, I love granola bars, granolas, muesli, and; I love when it is nutritiously loaded. Store-bought ones are completely filled with refined sugars and; definitely with some sort of preservatives. When these are homemade, they are the best. That is why this Berry Granola recipe is a keeper, Let me tell you why
How to make berry granola at home from scratch ?
First of all, it's a simple recipe to whip up, that can be made in less than an hour from start to finish.
This recipe is a good basic granola recipe, that is loaded with berries nuts and seeds. baked until crisp. You can make it as chunky as you want.
INGREDIENTS FOR BERRY GRANOLA
- Oats - old fashioned rolled oats. Rolled oats are the only option for granola. No instant oats.
For gluten-free - go for oats that are strictly certified for gluten intolerant.
2. Berries - Hero of the recipe here - any 3 varieties of berries. They should be dried or freeze dried. Blueberries, cranberries, blackberries or raspberries, strawberries. A good mixture of all the berries is also fine.
3. Nuts & seeds - Nuts like almonds, pecans, hazelnuts and, seeds like pumpkin seeds sunflower seeds are all good. My choice here is almonds. cut into medium sized
If you are allergic to nuts - then go in for seeds like pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
4. Honey or maple syrup - For sweetness honey.
If vegan swap to maple syrup, or date syrup or agave syrup or brown rice syrup
5. Coconut Sugar - just a little for that light sweetness, about 2 tablespoons.
6. Cinnamon - ground cinnamon for that warm flavor. Berries and cinnamon are a mad crazy match.
Mixing & Baking - Making granola
To make the granola, first In a large mixing mix oats, salt, sugar, cinnamon, nuts and, then add the coconut oil, honey, and stir. Mix well, so every nut and oats are coated with the honey and oil.
To bake, preheat the oven, In a baking tray lined with parchment sheet; spread the oats and nuts mix. Using a spatula, press it down to the parchment paper. so it sticks to it.
Half way through baking, stir the granola. add the berries at this stage - For chunkier granola, press the oats mix, so it sticks to the parchment paper.
Remove from the oven, Add in the berries.
Let it completely cool.
Use a spatula to break up the granola. If you need clumpy chunky granola, then break the baked granola by hand.
Other healthy breakfast options
Granola is best stored in an air-tight container and kept at room temperature.
Alternatively, you can also freeze granola. pack it up in an airtight container or Ziploc and place it in the refrigerator.
Granolas are best served with milk of your choice, plain yogurt, or flavored yogurt.
Topping Ideas & Choice - dark chocolate chips, dried fruits like figs, dates, apricots, or nuts or seeds like chia, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds
TIPS FOR THE BEST GRANOLA EVERY TIME
- Always use rolled oats.
- While baking, half way through stir the granola.
- Bake granola for about 21 to 25 minutes. or until it is light golden in colour.
- Granola will crisp up on cooling in the baking tray. So do not overbake it.
- To add the berries - stir them in once the granola is baked and cooled lightly.
- For chunky clumpy granola, -
- halfway through baking, stir and press it down to the parchment paper.
- after baking and cooling, break the granola with hand to retain the chunks.
Made this recipe ? Tag on insta @sweetspotbakeblog and let me know how did your recipe turn out
Homemade Triple Berry Granola
Equipment you will need
- 4 cups Oats
- 1½ cups blueberries (any dried - blueberries, raspberries, cranberries)
- 1 cup almonds (or pecans, walnuts)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup Honey (Or Agave syrup)
- Preheat oven at 160°c/320°f. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Note - Use a baking tray with a high edge, that way it will not spill
- In a large mixing bowl, Mix oats, nuts, coconut sugar, ground cinnamon and salt. Whisk well. So it is uniformly mixed.
- Pour in the coconut oil, honey or agave syrup, and vanilla into the oats and nuts mix. Using a spatula, mix very well. So all the honey and oil and oats are all coated.
- Transfer the oats mix into the prepared pan. Spread it evenly. and press it well on to the parchment paper.
- Place the baking sheet/tray in the center rack of the oven. Bake for around 21 to 24 mins. Until Lightly golden in colour. Stir in halfway through. Add in the berries at this stage. Put the tray back in the ovenAnd pressing the granola, so it sticks to the parchment paper.if you need chunky granola
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
- For Clumpy or chunky granola, after cooling, break the granola with hand. For Not so extra clumpy granola - stir using a spatula and break it.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Or in the freezer.
- To ServeIn a bowl, add some granola, milk, some nuts and some fresh berries