Oatmeal such a versatile healthy ingredient. which is just tasteless by its own. But we can come up with vast variations of recipes with it. This Oatmeal Cookie Recipe is just one of those many recipes. Let me tell you the inspo(inspiration) behind this cookie…
Coffee, (apart from our traditional filter coffee) Cafe culture were all new to me, until I started travelling. Fast forward to my swiss trip, thats where i saw the cookie culture ( Swiss is a melting pot of different traditions and culture, french, german, austrian). And I was smitten by how people love their breakfast cookies. Oatmeal Cookies were one famous of the lot.
In Dubai, people are always on the go, a cookie with coffee or a doughnut is what I see here. Especially with the digital nomads here. And thats how I have been inspired with these lovely bakes.
HOW TO MAKE THESE OATMEAL COOKIES
An Oatmeal Cookie is just a base, to which cranberries or raisins or mixed nuts can be added. Here I have used dried cranberries.
This Old fashioned Oatmeal Cranberry or Raisin Cookies is one of staple breakfast cookies, one cookie which is a good 3.5 to 4 inch. (but ive made them smaller because they are cuter). And hot latte or cappucino and your ready to take off for the day.
OATMEAL CRANBERRY COOKIE DOUGH
This oatmeal cookie recipe has a cake like texture. The cookie itself is loaded with Oatmeal, cranberries, almonds, some flour, brown sugar, butter some cinnamon powder to bring some warm flavour into the cookie.
Ingredients used to bake oatmeal cookies
- The oats used are rolled instant oats, this makes the cookie soft, cake like center and chewy. And a big plus for the nutrition factor ( not going deep into it).
- this is an oatmeal cranberry cookie, you ought to have cranberries, a good 140 to 150 gms goes into it.
- Cinnamon powder, brings out an amazing warm flavour, cutting out on heavy ingredients like oats and butter.
- In this recipe butter is brought to room temperature and softened. So it is room temperature butter which is soft.
- Brown sugar and granulated sugar is used, granulated sugar gives structure and Brown sugar adds to the beautiful brown colour and chewiness
- In addition to the above ingredients, a little flour and eggs for moistening & structure and bind them all.
- You can add about 60 gms of any nuts you like almonds, pecans, walnuts, I used almonds
Thats about the ingredients. simple just off the shelf.
BAKING THESE OATMEAL COOKIES
Starting with creaming butter and sugar, and then finish it with adding oatmeal and cranberries.
Chilling the dough or not ?
The cookie dough is sticky and needs to be chilled for atleast 15 to 30mins. If, the cookie dough is not chilled it the cookie will spread quite a lot during baking. Now if you want flat spread cookies, you can right away bake it, but I recommend chilling the dough.
Once baked and out of the oven, let it sit on the cookie sheet until completely cooled, before transfering to wire rack.
OATMEAL CRANBERRY COOKIES
MAKE THE DOUGH
- 250 g butter room temperature
- 180 g brown sugar
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 180 g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tbsp vanilla extract
- 200 g instant oatmeal
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 180 g cranberries
- 60 – 80 g walnuts/almonds/pecans
- In a seperate bowl mix flour, cinnamon powder, baking powder and salt. Keep aside
- Cream butter and Sugar until smooth, Use an electric hand mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat until well incorporated. Add Vanilla extract
- now add the flour mixture, give a good mix.
- change to a spatula and fold in oats, cranberries and almonds.
- Chill the dough for about 20 to 30 mins.
AFTER CHILLING, TO BAKE
- Preheat the oven at 170ºC .
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and lightly greased. Scoop the dough and place them with atleast 2 inches gap between them.
- Bake for a good 12 mins. You may check for doneness from 10 to 12 mins.
- Cool the cookie completely on the cookie sheet before transfering on a wire rack
- Its important to chill the dough enough. Otherwise these cookies tend to spread a quite.
- However you can play with chilling time. I chilled mine for about 20 mins to be specific. So you dont see my cookies spread well. If you want a flatter cookie, chill it for a lesser time.
- The cookie dough when mixed will be very sticky. And that is fine.
- The Cookie is meant to be chewy and soft cake like.
- You can add raisins instead of cranberries. Or you can add them both. I prefer dark raisins.
- These cookies stay good at room temperature for a week
and Well thats a wrap up with Oatmeal cookies, Now if you are in mood for a nice chunky bakery style cookie here it is.
In the meanwhile, keep baking, stay happy
Much Love and Thank you
Shri :- )