This Easy one bowl Cocoa Brownies is a simple brownie recipe, moist and fudgy, using only cocoa powder. And it is super easy to whip up and bake. Perfect for a Easy Lazy Bake.
These Easy FUDGY Cocoa Brownies are
- Deep Rich chocolatey.
- Its fudgy, chewy and moist
- A one bowl recipe.
- Just 5 ingredients + 1 for mix ins. That makes this recipe even more simpler.
- Uses only Cocoa Powder and Did I say no chopping chocolate ? Yes.. no hassle of chopping chocolate.
And let me tell you you will not miss the ”chocolate”, in fact this is more deep in that chocolate flavour. Because its pure cocoa powder. Most of my brownies recipes use melted Chocolate. Some use melted chocolate and cocoa powder. But this one recipe here, we use only cocoa powder.
How do cocoa brownies taste ?
So you must be wondering how do these brownies taste & how are these different from the other brownie recipes – let me tell you. All the taste, flavour, comes from the cocoa, and it is pure flavour, sans all the sugar in a chocolate bar, that we usually add in other browniesThat somehow lightly dilutes the pure cocoa taste. Unless you put in the pure 100% chocolate bar. Having said that, I totally love the ‘chocolate brownies’ too. So These are just rich and deep cocoa flavour. Theres nothing else. Super easy to make and totally indulgent, using very basic ingredients from your pantry.
What makes a brownie fudgy or cakey.
The fat to flour ratio is what makes a brownie fudgy or cakey. Fat is eggs, butter – flour includes dry ingredients like flour and cocoa powder.
So when the fat content is high as compared to the flour ingredients in your recipe, then the brownie will Be Fudgy
And while fat content is low to your dry ingredients, then your brownie will be cakey, which also needs some baking powder for leavening.
How do you make cocoa brownies from scratch ?
As I said these are easy to bake with very simple ingredients just off your pantry. Lets see what goes into this brownie.
- Cocoa Powder – A good Quality Unsweetened Cocoa Powder. Hersheys will do good. while unsweetened and unprocessed cocoa is good. For a darker colour, I suggest using a dutch processed cocoa powder. I have used Hersheys here. So what kind of cocoa is the best here – unsweetened cocoa powder is the best
- Sugar – Granulated White sugar or Castor Sugar. I prefer castor and that is exactly what i have used here. So why caster sugar – because is has fine grain which dissolves much faster into the batter. When using granulated sugar, pulse it in the food processor for a few seconds, so it is fine.(do not powder it) you will need to see the grains.
- Eggs – whole eggs here. An extra egg yolk. The extra egg yolk makes it fudgier.
- Butter – Just our basic unsalted butter melted.
- Flour – Plain all purpose flour used here.
No more extra ingredients, no frill, nothing. just simple straight forward pantry ingredients.
This Recipe cant get easier than this.
And Let me Remind you always use a good kitchen scale. to measure these ingredients. You can definitely use cups too. But a kitchen scale gives precise results.
Mix – ins can be any nuts of your choice like pecans, walnuts, almonds, or Chocochips, chocolate chunks. But, Walnuts are the best in a brownie, my suggestion
Heres a complete step by step on making these brownies.
SLICING & STORING
As goes with every brownie. The rules lies the same here –
- Cool for 30 minutes in the pan. until the sides pull away or shrink. it will shrink. your right
- Then remove from the pan let it cool completely on the wire rack.
- Use a plain not serrated knife to cut them into slices/bars. wiping them out after ever cut, just to get
store these brownies sliced. in an airtight container. keep in room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Make ahead Dessert Ideas For a Crowd.
- These brownies are perfect to take it on a potluck party, office lunches, picnics, – You just need to bake ahead a day in advance, let it cool through the night. Slice and pack them in cake boxes.
- Add in some marshmallows – works as a perfect camping dessert.
- Can be laid on a dinner table with ice cream and hot chocolate sauce.
- make this a showstopper dessert bar – with a few flavours of ice cream, a couple of sauces like – chocolate sauce, caramel sauce and some berry sauce.
Easy Cocoa Brownies
- saucepan to melt butter
- measuring cups or kitchen scale
- measuring spoons
- 8×8 inch square pan
- parchment paper
- oven to bake
- 120 grams butter measure and melt (read notes)
- 230 grams caster sugar or super fine granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk room temperature
- 120 grams all purpose flour
- 60 grams cocoa powder
- walnuts optional
- Measure butter and melt. set aside until just warm to touch before use.
- Measure all your ingredients.
- Preheat oven at 170°c/ 340°f. Line and grease an 8×8 pan or a 7×7 pan.
- In a large bowl, add the melted butter and castor sugar. whisk until smooth
- Then add in the eggs, and whisk until well blended.
- Sift in all purpose flour and cocoa powder. and Fold, until no flour streaks are seen.The batter will be very thick.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Transfer the brownie batter to the prepared pan
- Place the pan in the middle rack of the oven. bake for 25 mins.
- Remove from the oven, let it sit in the pan for atleast 15 mins. Then let it cool completely on a wire rack
- Use a sharp knife to cut slices.
Do let me know, for what occasion did you make these brownies ? get in touch with me @sweetspotbakeblog on insta. or on email@example.com